Sticky menus, as the name suggests, are the menus that are locked so that they are visible even if scrolled up, down, left or right. With the help of these menus, navigation which is among the crucial parameters for a good website design becomes easy for users. Usually with standard menus, users have to scroll up, down, left and right repeatedly to have a look at the menus and content alternatively. Sticky menus enable users to have an access to it even if the users are positioned anywhere on the website pages. Let’s have a look at whether sticky menus are beneficial or not. If beneficial then how?
Let’s have a look at a few websites with a unique style of sticky menus:
• Fizzy Software
Horizontal sticky menus present at the top of the page.
• Web Appers
Vertical sticky menus present on the left of the page.
• Make Better Apps
Horizontal sticky menus here are transparent so as to have a look at the contents below it to make it appear.
• Rodolphe Celestin
Horizontal sticky menus expanded on the top of the page. Whenever scrolling takes place, the design changes each time.
• Ryan Scherf
Vertical sticky menus in the form of icons present on the left of the page.
• Web Designer Wall
Vertical sticky menus less in number present on the left of the page.
• Sticky menus help in a faster navigation than standard menus because it turns out to be easy for users to search for what exactly they are locating as they need not scroll up, down, left and right repeatedly. This helps in saving time of the users and keeps them engaged and interested to go through the content present on the website, ultimately increasing the number of visitors and search engine rankings.
• A lot of user efforts are saved as they spend less energy in scrolling, dragging and clicking the mouse and keyboard buttons unnecessarily in redundant work. This is because sticky menus remain present on every scrolling or clicking.
• Majority of desktop and web based applications such as MS Office, browsers, etc. have sticky menus which provide access to all the functionalities to the users while navigating so as to enable users to be free from the headache of scrolling continuously in between whatever they are performing.
• Designing of the website gets limited by the presence of sticky menus due to the fact that it may not be accepted as a part of designing by many users who are not used to it. For them it could be frustrating and difficult to use such menus with an ease which they are not used to.
• Sticky menus could be distracting as there can be a delay in loading of sticky menus while scrolling or during surfing a website. Some sticky menus are even tall or large so as to obstruct a major part of the page view as well as the content associated with it.
• Sticky menus used for the website should be compatible with multiple browsers across multiple platforms. Not only this they should be compatible enough to support the mobile platform in addition to the desktop platform so as to support different screen sizes.
At the current time with millions of websites present on the web, it is important to have an edge while competing with others in terms of offerings, functionalities, features, components, user friendliness, and feasibility. Here sticky menus plays a very important role as scrolling is a major activity performed by users while surfing on the web. Unnecessarily scrolling of website pages up, down, left or right frustrates user as a lot of time and efforts go wasted. This is because there is a redundancy of same activity again again. That’s why most of the desktop software has sticky menus in their interface. Navigation is definitely an easy affair for users with sticky menus that have been integrated.